Home Forums General Discussion Winning trades in demo account, losing in Live

Fxview
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      User AvatarIlan Vardy

Hi Petko,

Following on from my previous thread, I need some advice please. I had a number of demo accounts running, and after 9 – 12 days, I took the best performing EAs and placed them on a live account. With the EURUSD over the past few days, most of my winning EA strategies from my demo account, have been losing. I have attached the a screenshot of the strategy spreadsheet from FX Blue. Could you please advise me what to do, as my portfolio is down about 45% in 2 days.

Thanks,

Ilan

User AvatarIlan Vardy

Is it too soon, after 2 days, to start changing EAs, i.e. check the demo account, and replace the EAs in the live account with the better performing EAs in my demo account?

User Avatarvietcuong_gf

Hi iLan, according to my understanding, we are playing with “statistics”, so let it play for a long time enough before you can say if EAs is good or bad. Let imagine a good people may sometimes make one or two mistakes, we cannot tell him a bad person just after those two mistakes.

Hello Ilan,

Glad to hear from you again. I think Vietcuong_gf has a good point here.

However, please answer the following questions so I give you some useful tips:

1. When you trade the EAs in the Live and in the Demo at the same time, do you see the very same trades opening?

In other words, does your broker have the same data on Live and Demo?

2. When you put EAs on the Live, it might take some times the trades to synchronize, because you might have opened trades on the Demo. Did that happen?

3. What rules did you follow to move the EAs from Demo to the live account?

Let me know.

Petko A

User AvatarIlan Vardy

Hi Petko,

Thanks for your reply, sorry for my delay.

1. For the most part, yes, they are the same. Last week, I changed most of my demo account to correspond with my live accounts. In other words, I now use the same broker for demo and live, to ensure trades are opened and closed at the same time in live and demo. I haven’t done a full comparison but I will using FX Blue later this week.

2. Yes, I did find that. As mentioned above, I will compare trades using FX Blue and time range filter to make sure they’re all the same. The other issue I think I may find is that my demo account has more money than my live, so there may be times when trades don’t open in live because of limited margin.

3. I’m following the rules you taught in the courses. I use FX Blue, check strategy, and replace EAs as required.

On the last point, with the current volatility, is it better to use a date range filter, for example the 3 days before only, to get a more accurate idea of how the EAs are performing, rather than a long time frame?

Thanks,

Ilan

User AvatarIlan Vardy

Hi Petko,

Just to add to point 1 above, I am now using the brokers you teach with, i.e. JFD and Pepperstone. I assume the brokers you use in the courses, are the same ones yo use to create the EAs you provide monthly when creating the strategies. I know you don’t recommend brokers, but if you use different brokers to create the EAs you provide in the courses, could you please let me know, so that I use the EAs that you have created or updated monthly on the same broker’s platform, to get the same results.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks again,

Ilan

Hey Ilan,

I am glad to hear from you.

I think you are doing a very good job.

For sure you need to use one and the same broker for Live and for Demo trading. In most of the courses, I use JFD for Forex, and Pepperstone for Crypto.

There are some tips at the end of the page with the trusted brokers, that will help you compare the Demo and the Live accounts:

https://eatradingacademy.com/trusted-forex-brokers/

Also, what do you mean that you have more money in the Demo account? per day or in total. I guess you started the Demo account earlier, which leads to more money in there.

Yes, looking at the last 3-5 days is a great idea to have an idea of which EAs are currently profiting.

Kind regards,
      Petko A

User AvatarIlan Vardy

Hi Petko,

Thank you for replying. I will look at article you shared, and if need be, change brokers. My portfolio is down a bit since yesterday, so I will have to wait and adjust EAs as needed to get my balance back up, before withdrawing funds if need be. I’m finding it challenging at the moment with the volatility. My portfolio value is moving quite a lot from hour to hour, so hopefully the markets stabilize soon.

What I meant by my demo accounts have more than my live, is that when opening a demo account on JFD, you have the option of opening with $500, $3000, $5000, etc. I had $1,500 available to open a live account, so that is what I did. So if the market turns against my trades (and it did already more than once), I start to run out of free margin , so trades don’t open on my live account, but they do on the demo account, as there was more margin available.

For now, with the volatility, I will keep monitoring my demo accounts, and use FX Blue to analyze the EAs and update my live account as needed.

Thanks,

Ilan

Hello Ilan,

Glad to hear from you again. Make sure you have enough margin in your account. And this you can do by lowering the trading amount.

How many EAs and what lot size do you use for 1.5k account?

I think you can do easily 10-15 EAs with 0.01 or 0.02 lots. If you go with higher lots you would probably miss some trades because of the margin.

Regards,

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart