BlackBull Markets
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      User AvatarSimon
      Participant

Hi Traders,

I’m looking into setting up a Virtual Private Network, to increase security to my internet connection, particularly before I go live with my trading, it seems like a good idea to not allow the world to see everything I’m doing online, particularly when there is money involved.

Does anyone else here use one? What is your experience with it?

Thanks,

Simon

Hello Simon,

Recently before moving everything to local computers, I used Contabo. They were doing pretty well. However, I do not know how they are doing now.

Cheers,

User AvatarSimon
      Participant

Hi Petko,

Contabo offer just a VPS I think, which is useful, but I am considering a VPN, which allows you to protect your local internet connection from anyone looking at your online activity, such as hackers, government, and twelve-year-old coding experts!! :-O

I am still reading up on it, but my understanding so far is that you can use a remote IP address for all your online activity, whatever you do on your machine at home, the data travels through a protected data “tunnel” to the VPN server, and from there it is encrypted before it gets sent to the destination of your choice, in our case, the brokers server. The encryption prevents anyone seeing the data, or tracing the communication back to your machine and being able to hack into it and see everything in there.

When I finally go live, I would like the peace of mind that my data (and money) are not easily up for grabs.

I wonder if all the routing to different servers etc would have a knock-on effect with things like trade executions though, hence my question asking if anyone has experience with a VPN and trading.

Cheers,

Simon

User AvatarMeryjonestexas
      Participant

Hey Simon,

This is quite interesting. I personally did not know what is the VPN. I am not really sure if we needed but I will keep an eye on the topic.

Try placing more specific topics as ”VPN for algorithmic trading” or ”Do you have experience with VPN in trading?” This way the people that are experienced might answer.

User AvatarSimon
      Participant

Hi MeryJonesTexas,

Yes, I should have been more clear, sorry.

For me, I think it would be a good thing to have just for general peace of mind, and I do like the idea of added security when working online.

I will set one up and let you know how I get on!

On another note, I looked at Contabo, and they offer a much better service than the one I was previously using, which is great, because the two PCs I bought recently are nearly maxing out because of generating lots of strategies with EA Studio, so I’m thinking once again about using a VPS for running the Metatraders.

Hey Simon,

I think VPS not from a Forex broker will work just fine and enough for you.

Most safely is to use the EAs on your computers at home.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart