Home Forums General Discussion Trading System Development

BlackBull Markets
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      User AvatarSamuel Jackson

Hi Petko,

I’ve just done a bunch of work putting together a system for trading live. Its not quite there yet but I’d love your input and if you agree with my approach and direction.

Basically what I have done is generate a pool of EA’s on the H1 timeframe with a reactor end date early last year for 6 currency pairs (About 200-300 EAs for each).

Then I have done the following:

Step 1 – Run validator (/recalculated) to filter out only strategies with profit factor > 1.1 and R/D > 0.5 for both 1 month and 2 weeks pre trading data.

Step 2 – Selected the top 5 simply according to max net profit for the EAs to trade for the next month by adding them to the portfolio.

Step 3 – Recalculated the portfolio for the mock trading month and recorded results in a spreadsheet

I have then done this in a monthly walk forward fashion as shown in the table below (Each row shows the months mock trading results from the portfolio):

For the in-sample dates I essentially collected data for 6 pairs and with a few different filter types (I.e 3 months and 1 month, same dates but with R/D > 1 etc)

Then after reviewing the results I settled on the combination of the filter criteria and combining the three pairs above. I then used the OOS months to just run the chosen pair combinations and filters and recorded the results. CERTAINLY a lot of work behind that table which is a very brief summary.

Regarding the reactor settings, everything in line with your courses a few slight deviations with the most impactful being more bars (I used 10 years or data) and a lower trade count since I was a bit stricter with monte carlo.

Anyway, a few questions:

1. You will notice my pairs are slightly unbalanced with 2 EUR and JPY and 1 GBP and 1 USD. This just showed to combine best over this date range with this particular pool of robots along with the filter criteria I set. I currently tend to accept non perfectly balance pairings as long as they are not overly unbalanced? I did have EURUSD but EURGBP just seemed to have better performing robots so I decided to use it instead, would you agree that is sensible?

2. This seems a decent enough start to a system to run for a month but definitely needs padding out as its not making enough trades and in fact makes zero trades one month of the OOS.

3. To move forward and pad it out further I was thinking of repeating the exercise but with M30 and M15 timeframes to add another few pairs and diversity to the portfolio. Rerunning the reactor with different settings on the H1 timeframe for the pairs that didn’t give me particularly good results. Projecting forward I can see that this MAY end up with something looking like the following:

5 EA’s for the month of EURGBP, EURJPY and USDJPY on H1

5 EA’s for  the month on EURUSD and GBPJPY on M30

5 EA’s for the month on GPBUSD on M15

I used to try really hard to aim for perfectly balanced pairs with same number of EAs on same timeframe but I am finding that sometimes I just get better performing strategies on different time frames and I’m currently just feeling like the above would be nicely diversified (different  time frames, reactor settings) if that’s how it comes out, any thoughts?

Also if you are wondering how I calculated the portfolio combined drawdown on three different pairs, I just summed the max drawdowns of each and multiplied it by 0.6 as a very rough estimate.

Also in the table above Walk Forward 9 was last month, I intend to create another table with the in-sample up until the most recent date and then use that to trade on a demo account and see how the results come out in the next week or so, will happily post the results.

I know these are EA studio results on open prices so there is some scope with spread and inner bar but I have also spot tested many of the portfolio EA’s both with open prices and control points in MT4 with a spread of 20 and have been happy enough with the comparison. Demo\live trading is the true test of course.

Hey Samuel,

You are doing quite a good job! Very detailed analysis with an in-depth idea!

1. I find the pairs just fine. Also, in times of volatility (War), the EURUSD is always a losing asset.

2. Were the strategies just generated, or did you add some different indicators as filters? What is the reason for not having trades?

3. I think your plan is just great. You already know how to use EA Studio, so you do not need Demo testing if you learn to manipulate the data and OOS. I stopped Demo long ago after having the Validator in EA Studio, which is the same as testing the EAs on a Demo.

However, I always suggest everyone test the EAs on Demo.

Keep me updated with your tests. It sounds promising.

User AvatarSamuel Jackson

Hi Petko,

Thanks for taking the time to review this.

Yes I just used the reactor but it seems that the strategies are quite selective with their entry conditions and this can result in even a whole month of no trades at times.

It was primarily the process of walking forward through the months results and using an IS of months results to then decide how to trade the future few months that I was curious of your opinion so I am glad you agree that it is a sensible approach.

I’ll be doing a bit of work to run through this again but with some higher frequency strategies and aiming for around 6 pairs using a couple of different timeframes. I’ll keep you posted on how the results look 🙂

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart