Home Forums Trading Strategies Portfolio of Strategies

Fxview

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Hello Everyone,

I’m new to this forum and I have questions on Portfolio

1. I viewed the video on Portfolio. When creating a Portfolio of one currency pair (AUDNZD), is it okay to have different time frames in this portfolio?

2. Please correct me if I’m wrong. It’s okay to have different strategies with one currency pair (AUDNZD) with the same time frame (m15). This portfolio is then placed on the m15 time frame chart to trade.

Thanks,

Samuel

Hello Samuel,

Welcome to the Forum!

No, it is not wrong. Actually, I do the same, and I show it in my courses. I create portfolio of EAs on one currency pair and one-time frame with different strategies. This is risk diversification.

Of course, if you combine a few different currency pairs and time frames that would be even better.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

When you say “if you combine a few different currency pairs and time frames that would be even better”, do you mean for example AUDNZD and AUDUSD with M1 M15 H4 D time frames for each currency in the same portfolio? If yes, should I place the AUDNZD, M1 M15 H4 D on AUDNZD chart and AUDUSD with M1 M15 H4 D time frames on AUDUSD chart? or both currencies on the same Chart? (strange)?

Thanks,

Smauel

User Avatarrichard
      Participant

Just my 2 cents

Maybe the word portfolio is causing confusion.  There is the EA portfolio that can only have 1 pair and 1 timeframe and up to 100 strategies and has to be placed on the same pair and timeframe in MT4.  And the general use of Portfolio which is the combination of strategies and pairs that ideally give you a diversified and balanced approach.

So if you wanted to balance the pairs you are talking about you might want to consider AUDNZD AUDUSD NZDUSD.  Each pair appears twice in this combination and this will help to balance the trades. If one of the pairs has a large move against you the other 2 will help to minimise the damage.

As for timeframes, after watching what Petko does and my own experience M15 and H1 seem to generally produce the better EA,s and possibly M5.

See how you go with the AUD and NZD but they are lightly traded compared to The USD GBP EUR JPY and I found them harder to produce good EA’s although I am sure it can be done…….

Hey guys,

interesting topic here. Richard, that is a very detailed and precise answer, thanks!

Samuel, I am not really sure why you want to trade these currency pairs but give it a try. Personally, I do not trade currency pairs like AUDNZD, but it might be interesting to see what will be the results.

The four that Richard says – USD, JPY, GBP, and EUR are the most common and that is why they have the lowest spreads.

You can try running the Generator for EURUSD and another one for AUDNZD, with the same acceptance criteria and data range, and see which one will show you better strategies (more net profit, for example). Make sure to run the generator long enough to have a decent comparison (3 hours at least).

I do run my Reactor for 600 minutes.

Should I generate strategies for all pairs of USD, JPY, GBP, and EUR

or

USDJPY, GBPUSD, EURUSD, EURGBP, GBPJPY, EURJPY?

Thanks.

Samuel

User Avatarrichard
      Participant

Yes those are the six that I trade.  I am still testing to see weather having the JPY in there is helping or not.  I am running some side by side tests over the next month to see if having the JPY helps to smooth the equity curve or not.  The EURUSD, GBPUSD, EURGBP is your other option if you want to drop the JPY.   I highly recommend to watch as many of Petko’s video’s as possible.  Especially the last few……

Hey guys,

Yes, recently I stick to these 6 currency pairs. Over time I saw that I better focus on them and generate more and more strategies on these assets instead of losing time on the others. Well, it is not losing time but with these 6 we can get really decent strategies with great equity lines.

I am glad you liked the last videos, Richard!

Cheers,

Hello,

I have viewed the videos on Forex Strategy Course – Portfolio Trading Strategies + 12 Expert Advisors and Online Trading Course: Expert Advisor Studio Basics.

Is there a library of Videos by Petko I should be learning from?

Thanks,

Samuel

User AvatarIlan Vardy

Hey Samuel,

All courses can be found on our website. The one you are asking about is below in the link.

If you’re unsure which would be best for you, simply ask me and I’ll guide you.

https://eatradingacademy.com/courses/algorithmic-trading/forex-strategy-course-portfolio-trading/

Cheers,

Ilan

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart