Home Forums Trading Strategies Maximum of 32 MT4 platforms allowed per PC

BlackBull Markets
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      User Avatarrichard
      Participant

I have generating many strategies and running them on lots of MT4 platforms and today i reached the limit of 32.  Seems the the builders of MT4 have set a limit of 32 platforms per PC.  Does anyone know a way to work around this.  I could just run more ea’s per MT4 but i read somewhere that you should not really have more than 100 strats per platform as there may be execution issues. Is this correct???

Thanks for you help

User AvatarAndi

Wow, Richard! You have 32 MT installed? If you test 100 strategies on each, it means 3200 EAs? And you want to go beyond that? 🙂

I am impressed with that! How do you succeed to manage these EAs? How do you follow the results?

I did not know about the limitation…

Looking forward to hearing more about your testing…

User Avatarrichard
      Participant

I currently only have about 1000 strategies.  But ultimately I want to balance up the portfolio.  So say about 15 pairs + gold + oil and maybe 4-5 indexes. So 20+ instruments with say 300 strategies each. For now I’m focusing on forex. How do you follow all those results????  That’s the question alright….  I currently use a combination of FX Blue and MT4 tracker.  I find MT4 tracker good as it gives a graphical representation of the trades which is hard to see sometimes with just the stats.  It also allows to filter just the last n trades which allows me to see a longer term and short term graph of the trades.  I have no affiliation with the program.  I have decided to go to the next level with my analysis.  I have just hired a programmer to create an end to end system for me.  It will send all the demo mt4 data to an Mysql database to sort it.  Then to excel where i can set the parameters of the top performing strategies that i want to trade then back to the database to a trade copy program that will send it to a live account.  Still in the early stages and a long way to go.  For me it’s all about sample size.  I want as many strategies as possible to choose from and then narrow it down to the top performers on a short and long term basis.  Multiply that over a good number of different assets and hopefully attain a reasonable smooth equity curve with minimal drawdown.  I had my first one on one with Petko the other day and it really helped me put the final pieces together.  I highly recommend these one on one sessions to anyone who wants to “put it all together”.  I realise I still have a way to go……  I have been trading off and on for over 20 years and feel that finally things might be starting to come together with the final piece being the algo trading techniques that Petko teaches here……..

How is your trading going Andi.  I followed your posts closely when I first joined up as it looked like you were starting to put it together….

Hello Richard,

I am glad to see your post in the forum. It makes me happy to see that my courses were useful to you. I do my best to put my experience in the courses and of course, there is so much more all the time. Everyday I personally learn new things by myself.

So you are doing a great job to put it all together, and I think what you did with the developer is great. Keep us updated.

Kind regards,

User Avatarrichard
      Participant

Hi Petko, Thanks for that.

Question for you.  What is the max no. of strategies that you allow on each MT4.  I currently only run 100 (1 x portfolio).  I would like to run 200 – 300 if possible.  I am a bit concerned that there might be execution issues with too many trades to open at the same time….  What is the most you have run on 1 platform at a time.  Obviously i need to stay within my brokers max open trades per account limit which is 250….

Hey Richard,

I do not go over 100 strategies, no matter is it with individual EAs or Portfolio Experts. I feel that is good enough as a number.

I have seen in different forums that people complain about lagging with many EAs, but keep in mind that the EAs we use from EA Studio are with perfect code and very simple as a code, no unnecessary staff. Especially since the Normalizer is live, we have fast and straightforward EAs. Exactly what we need for trading Portfolio of many strategies.

Now, give it a try with more EAs, but it would be hard for you to see if there is a delay. You should look at the entry time. Keep in mind that the EAs open at the beginning of the bar. If you are on M15, for example, you should not see EAs opening trades at 11;22, for example, or any other minute further from 15,30,45 and round hour.

Kind regards,

User Avatarrichard
      Participant

Yes I think 100 per platform would be the safest.  I might run some side by side comparisons and see if I see any discrepancies….

Yes, this sounds like a good idea. Anyway, they have placed a maximum of 21 MT4 platforms for some reason…

Before it was 99 EAs per MetaTrader, now some of the brokers allow more as far as I know, again…must be a reason 🙂

User AvatarAndi

Hey Richard,

I am sorry for the late replay, I was out of town.

Well, yeah the recent one year things are going well with me. I have put a lot of hard work before that and of course, Petko helped me a lot with his courses and advice. I had times making it too complicated (I hope you are not going into there) so I had to reduce a little bit the number of strategies.

Now, I want to remove the Demo testing, I am trying the methods from Petko and at the same time I test strategies with EA Studio. I create collections and I do not place them on Demo, I just check their performance after 1 month with the new Historical data, actually with the data from that one last month. That is a method that Petko shared as well, and I really want to get into there.

So then I will leave just 4-5 real accounts to work with the best EAs, and I guess I will have less work at that time 🙂

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart