Home Forums General Discussion Max equity drawdown – per trade or for entire account?

BlackBull Markets
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      User Avatarcolin-chad

Hello,

I’ve been experimenting with the Generator and the Reactor.  In Tools –> Configuration –> Acceptance Criteria –> Complete Backtest does “Maximum equity drawdown %” mean the maximum equity drawdown per trade at the chosen lot size, or is it the maximum equity drawdown over the time period covered by the historical data?

Suppose I don’t want to exceed 10% drawdown on my total starting balance in my demo account ($100k) at any time. If I’m trading micro lots (0.01 lot) this means I’m risking 1% of my starting account balance on each position. I could afford to have a drawdown of greater than 10% (say, 12%) on a trade that only represents 1% of my starting account balance, since that would be a 12% loss on 1% of my account balance. If this is how the drawdown works in the Generator/Reactor, then I might want to set “Maximum equity drawdown %” greater than 10% for micro lot trades if my goal is to stay under 10% drawdown for the account overall.

Again, the question is does “Maximum equity drawdown %” mean the maximum equity drawdown per trade at the chosen lot size, or is it the maximum equity drawdown over the time period covered by the historical data?

I look forward to your guidance. Thank you.

Colin

Hey Colin,

Your calculations are precise. It means the Max Equity Drawdown over the whole period you are testing the account.

Cheers,

User Avatarcolin-chad

Thanks, Petko!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart