Home Forums EA Studio Portfolio EAs portfolio calculations vs reality Reply To: portfolio calculations vs reality

User AvatarSamuel Jackson

Okay, so your main concern seems to be how different your live trading results are from your EA studio comparison during the same period.

Firstly I suggest the following:

Take a single EA from EA studio and compare the results with a backtester using Mt4 backtester using open prices. Petko has a video on doing this which I am sure you can find easily on youtube. In doing this compare the trading journal of each and look at the times of opening closing trades etc. Things should match really well and if not then you have made a mistake somewhere for sure.

After this is done with a single EA feel free to repeat the exercise with a portfolio EA and again things should match fairly well. They wont be exact and in my experience EA studio is cleverer than Mt4 in calculating drawdowns etc even though both are using open prices, however it is an important check and should help build your confidence in the system.

Also note that the MT4 backtester does not include commission but thats not important at this stage, just make sure you are content that both your EA studio trade journal and Mt4 backtester match in terms of times of opening and closing trades (and also method of closing such as stoploss, take profit or exit signal).

Then you can run the EA on demo for a week and compare the MT4 backtesting report, EA studio journal and the actual trade log made on demo to see how things are comparing before finally adding live with smallest trade size to compare also if you really want.

So in a nutshell:

Step 1 – For a single EA compare EA studio trade journal with MT4 backtester report

Step 2 – Then repeat this exercise in a weeks time but also include the EAs trades on Demo as a comparison

Step 3 – Repeat step 2 but include live as a comparison

Step 4 – Can also do this with a portfolio EA but start by keeping things simple

Once you have done all this you will learn a lot and have your faith restored 🙂

Shopping Cart